We return to the Manifesto and ready for what we refer to as the Second Level of Respect – the External Values, those that are outside yourself.
External Values are the visible ones, the ones we display every day. These are the actions that show that you are a gentleman on the inside by displaying them to the world on the outside. Those are the first touch points in encountering a Gentleman, if you will. These are values that affect and effect others such as Style, Chivalry, Charm and Humility.
So let us tackle the first one – Style.
“Fashion fades, only style remains the same”.
The essence of style is to have elegance, a classical appearance that defines time and is not a slave to fashion nor trends . It has been said that fashion is now and style is timeless. Therefore it is about embodying style.
Style is having about wearing what you have well. Picking clothes that fit, Items that you look after. They can be simple or indeed with extravagant flair but it all has to work together.
It is not about being a carbon copy gentleman. It is about embracing the rules of appearance and taste and knowing what works for you and then embellishing with your personality. It is thinking about the impression you make and respecting your surroundings.
Our Top 5 Tips to Style:
1. Get the Fit Right – Most guys wear things too big or too tight. You have to get it right. It is about showing off your best bits and taking your eyes away from the bad ones.
2. It’s all in the details – Whether that is making sure the shoes are polished or picking the right Pocket Square, the details matter and make you stand out.
3. Simple, Simple, Simple – Don’t complicate things. Keep your style and look simple. Purchase clothes that work together. Start Simple and build
4. Buy the Best you can Afford – Always try to buy the best you can afford with regards to key pieces for your wardrobe. They will last and they will work across many looks.
5. Ban the Brands – Take time to think about what you are purchasing. Are you purchasing an item because of the logo? the Ad campaign? or because it is a ‘cool’ brand. You can get a Tailored Suit for the price of most ‘Of the Peg’ designer suits!
A Gentleman’s Hint:
Dress each day as if you might meet someone who could change your life.