Last week started off with a bit man pampering for me with a highly recommendable visit to Pankhurst barbershop in the Carnaby area of Soho. I went in for a beard trim and enjoyed every aspect of my upscale yet down to earth experience.
Stuff I particularly loved about my experience included the following:
- Leaning back in the bespoke leather barbers’ chairs, hand upholstered by Bentley craftsmen;
- Finding a generously poured tumbler of Johnny Walker in my hand within moments of confirming my reservation and establishing why I was there;
- Listening to a mix of music seemingly curated just for me – Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now was an especially fine tune to contemplate while relaxing in the chair (ace sound system too!);
- An efficient but thorough beard trim by my barber, Adam – a total pro with a friendly and polite demeanour and an intense attention to detail; and
- Perhaps most importantly, all the compliments I’ve received about my facial hair since then (honestly!.
At 50 quid for a cut or, say, 60 for a “deluxe” wet shave and hot towel face massage, I don’t think Pankhurst is going to replace my local East End barber for my regular every-few-weeks’ trim, but there are always going to be those special occasions when a little more detailing might be required. And when those situations present themselves, I’m gonna head to Pankhurst. I feel I should also point out that compared to similar luxury experiences, Pankhurst’s prices are great value and, with respect to some other upscale men’s grooming options I’m tried, I found Pankhurst to be a lot less poncy and trend dependent – with more focus on offering a quality experience and helping a man look as good as possible.
Next time you’re in need of a proper spiff-up or you’re shopping around for a gift to give your manly man friend, I recommend keeping Pankhurst in mind.
Pankhurst is located at 10 Newburgh Street, W1F 7RN. Find out more at pankhurstlondon.com.
A version of this article was originally posted on Chris Osburn’s Blog on the 17th of March 2014
Chris’s Blog http://tikichris.com/